Everything You Need to Know About Moisturizers
Skin is built to retain moisture. However, dehydration, hot showers, harsh soaps, and other things can contribute to dryness. Environmental factors, such as the air, climate, and certain chemicals, can also negatively impact the health of our skin. As we age, our skin also loses its ability to maintain moisture. When skin needs help staying soft and supple, we often turn to moisturizers. Skin moisturizers contain key ingredients designed to soften and protect skin while delivering a healthy dose of certain nutrients and antioxidants to heal and soothe dry, irritated skin. Importance of Moisturizers If you have yet to add a moisturizer to your daily skincare routine, it’s time to start now. Moisturizers are essential for all skin types. There is a common misconception that people with oily skin should not moisturize. It is important to remember that moisturizers do not just hydrate dry skin. They also contain important vitamins and active ingredients that enhance skin’s function and overall appearance. There are four main types of ingredients found in moisturizers.
- Occlusives, such as petrolatum, help form a protective seal over the skin.
- Emollilents, such as glycerin, help fill in cracks and sooth roughness.
- Humectants, such as hyaluronic acid, pull water from deeper layers of skin to the surface.
- Barrier-like ingredients, such as ceramides, replace fats in skin cells to help skin function optimally.
- Botanical Hydration Gel: Suitable for oily skin sufferers, the Botanical Hydration Gel offers daily protection in a rich cream. The gel-based moisturizer contains nourishing vitamins A, C, and E, as well as botanical extracts. You’ll also discover therapeutic essential oils such as lavender and tea tree designed to fight the bacteria that contribute to acne and irritated skin.
- Clarifying Moisturizer: Suitable for normal or combination skin type. Dr. Sylvia Skin Care’s Clarifying Moisturizer is a non-comedogenic, feather-light gel-cream that easily absorbs into the skin. The hydrating moisturizer instantly seals in moisture while delivering the skin with a healthy dose of antioxidants and asafetida extra to promote healing. The Clarifying Moisturizer also contains essential oils that help keep your skin clear and radiant.
- Hyaluronic Moisturizer with Argeriline and Kojic Acid: Suitable for dry and pigmented skin. Lightweight and nourishing, the Hyaluronic Moisturizer with Argeriline and Kojic Acid offers a hydrating experience that enhances both skin tone and texture. This moisturizer contains powerful ingredients like vitamin C, Azelaic, and Kojic Acid to help eliminate dullness and brighten the skin. The Hyaluronic moisturizer also offers anti-aging benefits, including the reduction of wrinkle formation.
- Ultra-Sensitive Moisturizer: Suitable for sensitive skin. The Ultra-Sensitive Moisturizer is a fragrance-free, color-free, and paraben-free moisturizer that is specifically formulated for those with highly-sensitive skin. It is also a suitable option for those who are post-peel or post-operative. The Ultra-Sensitive Moisturizer also helps alleviate the appearance of fine lines while soothing skin with its vitamin-rich oils.